Study at Upper Hutt College
Study at Upper Hutt College
- At Upper Hutt College the school year starts in late January and ends in early-mid December and is divided into 4 terms
- Each term is approximately 10 weeks and terms are separated by a 2 week break. In term 4 during senior students' study leave, a separate end of year programme is offered to international students not sitting exams.
For more general information about studying at Upper Hutt College please click on the link to the school prospectus.
We take all international students through an orientation programme in their first few days to help them settle more easily into New Zealand school life. We will introduce you to the Upper Hutt College school routines, extra-curricular activities and rules and expectations.
New students will meet the international staff, complete testing to determine their English language ability and choose their subjects. They will also be buddied with a New Zealand student to help them begin socialising with other students at our school. We also talk to you about school buses and other public transport, visit the uniform shop and assist you to get a bank account if required.
Curriculum / Subjects
All Year 9 and 10 students study English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education and Health. They choose either 8 option subjects (Year 9) or 2 option subjects (Year 10) from a range of other subjects, including ESOL.
All senior students study either 5 or 6 subjects. There is a wide range of choices, including:
- Languages: English, Maori, Japanese and ESOL.
- Sciences: Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Mathematics: Calculus and Statistics
- Social Sciences: Commerce (Economics and Accounting), Business Studies, Tourism, Geography, History, Media Studies and Classical Studies.
- Physical Education: Health Studies, Sports Leadership, Sports Performance and Adventure (Outdoor) Education
- Creative and Performing Arts: Music, Dance, Drama, Art (Design, Printmaking, Painting and Photography), Media Studies
- Technology: Food & Nutrition, Textiles, Hospitality & Catering, Digital Technology (Computers), Design & Visual Communication (Graphics) Building & Construction and Hard Materials Technology.
For more information on courses, please read the Senior Course Selection Handbook 2022
International students at Upper Hutt College will be placed with wonderful, supportive host families. We have carefully selected our host families to ensure students are placed in a loving and caring home environment and students will be welcomed as a member of the family. We have options for students both in urban and semi-rural home environments and all students will be provided with their own room and an area for study. Our International Student Manager - Belinda Walker - will also support students and their wellbeing and takes a personal interest in the placement of every student.
Our international team is focussed on providing an excellent experience for our international students. We do this by providing individual attention to a relatively small number of international students. All students are also members of an Ako class and have a "Kiwi" buddy. Students also have access to a Guidance Counsellor.
If any student or parent is concerned about a matter, they should see either the International Student Manager - Belinda Walker - or the International Director - Janetta Van Maren - in the first instance. If they are still concerned about the issue the should see the Principal - Ms Judith Taylor. If a concern remains once this process is followed, please find out what to do next by clicking here
Upper Hutt College is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of practice. This ensures we will offer services for international students that meet nationally consistent standards. To view the code of practice click the following link:
Living in New Zealand
Please read the brochure Student Guidelines to Living in New Zealand .
For 2023 fees click the yellow link below
For more information, please contact:
Janetta Van Maren (Director of International Students)